Sunday, May 3, 2009

Quacks!

The other day I had some time so I stopped in at a place proclaiming to be a fitness club and offering a test of my metabolic rate, as well as a test of my body composition (fat, muscle, etc.) 
To make a long story short, they turned out to be complete quacks. They are basically an Herbalife distributor. I told them what I ate and how much weight I had lost - all by eating sensible meals, etc. and they told me I should replace two meals a day with their chemical-filled shakes. I was so indignant I almost started screaming at them. I believe that is an absolutely immoral bit of dietary advice to give someone. The only thing those shakes had going for them was a scoop of soy protein. She was telling me I could get all the nutrition I needed with only 200 calories. I was just beside myself.  I eat healthy fiber-rich whole foods - fruits, veggies, grains, proteins, etc. At any rate, they did hook me up to a machine and spit out some interesting facts. First of all, I have about 5 more pounds to lose. I guess that sounds about right based on other research I've done. 10 would be nice, but I'm not going to starve myself. She also said I had a good muscle index, whatever that means, but I liked the sound of it. And according to these quacks I am eating enough protein. I figured that one out on my own because if I don't eat protein I'm starving an hour after my meal. 

According to the results I have:
  • 26.4% body fat (healthy range 21%-25%)
  • 5.18 pounds excess body fat
  • should eat 1198 calories a day to lose weight
  • should eat 1543 calories a day to stay at weight
  • should eat 10-99 grams protein a day
  • should weigh 141-149 pounds (I currently weigh 152)

No comments:

Post a Comment