Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A little overboard on the veggies....

Problem 1
Too much steamed and boring broccoli....kind of a flavorless batch.
Solution: 
Turned into soup.

    Sauteed miropoix (onions, carrots, celery) and added...
    • 2 boxes bought chicken broth (not ideal)
    • 3/4 cup half and half
    • 2 cups pureed baby lima beans
    • several cups broccoli
    Simmered a few minutes and used immersion blender.
    Turned out better than I expected. The beans easily cut out most of the cream and make the soup filling and nutritious. Some cream good for richer flavor. Alex even ate a few bites.



    Problem 2
    Roasted 2 heads of cauliflower. Turned off oven, finished dishes and then forgot about the cauliflower -  and left in oven overnight. Kind of soggy. And gross.
    Solutions
    Puree, use as thickener and even fake mashed potatoes. See below

    Problem 3
    Not really a problem, but looking to make an interesting sauce with bacon.
    • sauteed bacon-whole package!
    • added miropoix
    • added ground turkey breast
    • at this point I would have been happy - I like my food in still distinct parts...but below isn't really a sauce.
    • hemmed and hawed about making it a tomato sauce, which I don't really like, and then decided to make sauce for husband - this was both ironic and fortuitous as he was becoming increasingly annoyed with me because I didn't stop Alex from bothering him while he tried to sleep off a cold. I actually didn't realize it was happening as I was so involved in the sauce - like that couple in the NYTimes article a while back (I can't find it). So added crushed tomatoes.
    • added tin anchovies. Should have kept it to half a tin but always hesitant to waste. Half a tin adds richness, whole tin makes kind of fishy. Husband not so picky though.
    • wanted more thickness and had huge bowl of problem 2 so added in 2 cups cauliflower puree.


    Served over whole wheat angel hair pasta with some asagio cheese on top. Husband forgave me!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment