Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fish tacos



For some reason I got a craving for fish tacos about a week ago and decided to make them. I bought the ingredients but always felt they would be too labor intensive on a week night so I didn't make them until today. Not at all! They're so easy and good - why have I never done this? Apologies for the bad photo.

First of all, I should note that these were not fresh off the taco truck in San Diego. I used frozen fish, and forgot to buy cilantro. I know, that sounds gross but trust me, since I'm not getting to San Diego any time soon, these were pretty good and took about 10 minutes to make.

I bought orange ruffy, frozen from Trader Joe's. No idea about the sustainability of it. It was 3 medium-sized fillets. I bought a bag of shredded green cabbage, fresh limes. I had real apple cider vinegar, Hellman's mayo and non-fat Greek yogurt in the house. I had bought limes for the chicken chili and had one leftover.

So here is what I did...of course measurements are estimates
-defrost fish (I used to have a strict ban on frozen fish. This variety is ok but I would obviously prefer fresh)
-put 1.5 tbs olive oil in a skillet
-cook fish, sprinkle salt, pepper
-while fish cooking make cole slaw
-mix 2.5 cups cabbage in big bowl with
-3 tbs apple cider vinegar
-2 tbs Hellman's mayo (full-fat, I hate low-fat)
-1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
-make sure fish is not burning, flip
-mix cole slaw some more
-put fish on plate,
-toast tortillas in hot pan (I used mini TJs low-carb whole wheat tortillas - they are the right size, 45 cal, and more importantly, I just don't like the taste/texture of corn tortillas)
-assemble and eat! I did about 1/3 fillet, 1/4 cup cole slaw in each and squeeze fresh lime juice on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment