Virtual What Not to Wear...Contents of my winter wardrobe are as follows:
- 2 pairs jeans Lucky brand via Filene's Basement, $30 each.
- 1 pair tailored pant-like denim big cuff pants - kind of springy weight actually but I like them. Anthropologie, $50
- 2 pairs cords, black, brown Benetton, $55 each
- 1 pair tailored black work pants DKNY via Filene's Basement $25 - great bargain.
- 1 pair tailored tan work pants Benetton $55
- 6 or 7 long sleeved nice t-shirts mainly Gap/J.Crew. nice may not be totally accurate.$10-15 each. Overall winter wardrobe plan was buy lots of t-shirts and a few nice cardigans and have a mix/match collection. Broadcloth shirts too expensive/annoying to iron/not necessary when working with scientists.
- 1 long camel-color cashmere cardigan with ruffle. Filene's Basement $80
- 1 long black cardigan from previous wardrobe- must replace and throw out paid $75 7 years ago!
- 1 cotton/rayon knit dress Boden $128 - complete waste, now on sale, worn once. I hate dresses!
- 1 black suit with skirt DKNY outlet store $100 plus tailoring
- 1 gray sweater vest Banana Republic $39
- 1 multi color sweater vest Boden $37
- 1 long denim skirt Boden $39
- 1 tailored denim blazer Calvin Klein outlet forget price, maybe $50, multi-seasonal
- 1 pair nice boots Ugg $200 - crazy!!!
- several old crappy shoes that should be thrown out - i have very oddly shaped feet and have trouble buying shoes
- 1 light gray silk sweater my mom bought me at Lord and Taylor about 15 years ago. Still beautiful. Used to be a set, but tank part got stained.
- 1 Target/Loehman's tunic/leggings outfit experiment that went awry. I'm too old. $50 for both items
- a couple new overcoat type things one down, one more sweatery, one old Benetton long wool overcoat. Athletica, Lands End, may return, some haven't even arrived yet.
- many pairs Lucy yoga pants in shorts, capris, long lenghts. paid about $30-60 each, always on sale but still overpriced. Use mediums for sleeping/lounging and smalls for actually working out. Pretty good value considering how much they're worn. I have no other pajamas.
- new underwear! even that is too big
- 1 Spanx bra $62 and 4 athletic bras, $15-25 each I think-obviously this is a problem.
Interestingly, even 45 lbs thinner pants still don't fit properly - I'm a 4 in the waist and a 6 in the butt/thighs. Only liposuction can solve that problem and that's not for me. Tops are also a problem as I'm narrow but very long-waisted and long-armed. Tall-sized tops work well but are hard to find. I guess one solution is to buy larger sizes and have them tailored down. All the What Not to Wear people suggest that. But that's expensive.
Not sure of my point here - I guess it's that a new wardrobe is quite an undertaking mentally, physically, economically, no matter what. Thank God I'm done shopping.